Providing Unparalleled
Experience And Personalized Guidance

Do I Qualify For A Humanitarian Visa?

Crime Victims

From Robert's interview for the Masters of Immigration Law series on
There are several common types of humanitarian-based paths to obtaining lawful immigration status in the U.S.
  • DACA: The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program protects undocumented immigrants who arrived in the U.S. as children from deportation. I can help you apply for DACA, renew DACA, or advise you on your DACA status if you have been arrested. Some people with DACA are eligible for a travel permit, and I can help you with that, too.
  • Abused, neglected, or abandoned children: Children under 21 who were abused, neglected, or abandoned by at least one parent may be able to apply for special immigrant juvenile (SIJ) status.  This program offers a path to stay in the U.S. and eventually apply for a green card.
  • Crime victims: If you were the victim of a violent crime while in the U.S., you might qualify for a U visa. The most common qualifying crimes include domestic violence, sexual assault, and felonious assault.
  • Abused Spouse: If you are or were married to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (green card holder) who abused you physically or emotionally, then you may be eligible to self-petition for permanent resident status thanks to the Violent Against Women Act (VAWA).
  • TPS: If your country has been affected by war, civil strife, or a severe natural disaster, the U.S. may have designated your country for Temporary Protected Status (TPS).  Nationals of Ukraine, Sudan, Haiti, Afghanistan, Syria, or Venezuela – for example – are designated for special protection.  If you believe that you may qualify for TPS, I can help you.

If you qualify for one of these programs or any other Humanitarian-based immigration program, I will work with you to apply.